Celebrate Hanukkah by creating a fun embroidered table runner that is a perfect addition to a dinner party.
Download the project instructions here.
Download the project design here.
This project was featured in our one of our Totally Stitchin' Magazine Issues. Find more embroidery projects here.
- Sewing and Embroidery Machine
- One Yard your Choice of Blue Fabric
- One Yard of High-Quality Felt
- Star of David embroidery design
- Navy Blue Madeira Aerofil Sewing Thread
- White Madeira Embroidery Thread for the Designs
- White Bobbin Thread
- Swarovski Heat set Crystals in Blue and Aurora Borealis Assorted Sizes
- Baby Lock Medium Tear Away Stabilizer
- Cut fabric to approximately 25" wide and fold it in half length and width wise to find the center.
- Mark it with an erasable marking pen. Use a grid perfect placement sticker camera app or projector depending on what machine you are using for fabric and design placement.
- Hoop the blue fabric with stabilizer.
- Find the center mark and stitch the larger Star of David design in the center.
- Then measure 5" of space between the center design and the placement for the smaller Star of David designs. Stitch those designs.
- Next stitch several dreidel designs around the border. Connect the dreidel designs with decorative stitches so that it looks like the Dreidel is spinning around your table runner.
- Once the Star of David designs are stitched sandwich the embroidered top fabric with two pieces of the felt fabric with right sides together and pin.
Tip: I found that using a walking foot or Digital Dual Feed foot was very helpful to keep the fabric from sliding and stretching.
- Start stitching with a matching blue thread in the needle and in the bobbin. Leave an opening large enough to turn the table runner right side out.
- Once the runner is turned right side out finish the edge with topstitching 1/2" from the edge and close the opening that you turned the table runner through.
- Echo quilt around the Star of David starting with the one in the center one. Echo quilt 1/4" from the Star and then repeat two more times.
- Echo around the smaller Star of David designs repeat. Repeat the steps above twice.
- Once the stitching is done place and attach the Swarovski crystals.