Today we have Kelly from KelbySews sharing a super easy tutorial that would make an awesome gift! Take it away Kelly!
Everyone could use a few extra seasonal coasters for those special occasions when guests are coming. Welcome those guests with cozy hexagon coasters that look intricate but are simple and quick to make.
- 7 hexagons cut to desired size
- Bamboo stick or turning tool to push out corners
- Hexagon ruler or cutting mat/ruler with a 60° degree mark.
- Use a hexagon ruler to cut hexagons, but you can easily use the 60 ° degree line on your ruler/cutting mat. Hexagons should measure 5-1/2" from flat side to the opposite flat side.
- You will need 6 hexagons for the front of the coaster and 1 hexagon for the back.
- Fold 6 of the hexagons in half and press.
- Begin layering the hexagons on top of the background hexagon by placing the background hexagon right side up.
- Begin adding the folded hexagons on top of the background hexagon one at a time, with the raw edges facing out and matching along the raw edges of the background hexagon.
This is all very simple until you get to folded hexagon 5. For this layer, you must lift up the side of hexagon 1 (you will only be able to see a triangle of your hexagon 1 fabric at this point) and place hexagon 5 down. Then place the triangle of hexagon 1 back in place. You should be able to see a part of hexagons 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 if you’ve done this correctly.
For folded hexagon 6, you must lift up hexagons 1 and 2 to place hexagon 6 down. Place hexagons 1 and 2 back down. You should be able to see ALL SIX folded hexagon fabrics—they will look like 6 triangles.
IF YOU CANNOT SEE ALL 6 FABRICS, DO NOT PROCEED TO THE NEXT STEP. It's important to note that what you see before you sew is what you will see after you turn it right side out. Therefore, if it doesn’t look correct in by the end of this step, it will not look correct after you sew it.
Use Clover clips or pins to secure the layers of the hexagons
Using a 1/4" seam allowance, sew around all sides of the hexagon, pivoting at the corners.
Turn the coaster right side out by opening up the folds and turning it. Use a bamboo stick or something similar to gently push out the corners. Press hexagon coaster flat.
Topstitch around the edges and you're done!
Aren't those hexagon coasters so cute!? They would make such a thoughtful and unique gift for your favorite host or hostess. Need more project ideas? Check out our projects section for more inspiration!