When there are so many stitches in a machine it is really special when you find a project that is just right. Putting this tote together just made me smile with the colors, texture and all of the stitches I was able to use.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD PRINTABLE INSTRUCTIONS WITH ADDITIONAL PHOTOS.
- Baby Lock Sewing Machine – Baby Lock Allegro used to create this tote
- Fabric of Choice for Quilt (cutting instructions for pictured sample provided)
- Connie Spurlock Pattern, Gecko Tote
- Batting of Choice
- Thread for Piecing
- Thread for Decorative Stitches
- Basic Sewing Supplies (Scissors, Pins, Seam Ripper, Rulers, Etc.
- Leather Handles
- Appliques from AccuQuilt Dies -
- 55324 Go Bird Die
Fabric Cutting Instructions
The following cutting instructions are based on the purchased pattern.
Changes- Side pockets were omitted, appliqué personalized for your taste, handles were purchased leather handles with sewn on button treatment and zipper added in pocket.
The two appliqué sides are different by choice. You can add your appliqué to one or both sides. The purchased pattern puts the gecko on one side of the tote bag.
The bag is constructed flat and embellished with appliqué and decorative stitches.
- Bottom of Tote – Stitch 1st before constructing tote. Using many different threads, different stitches and undulating curves stitch the lower section of the tote bag filling the fabric.
- Birds – cut with AccuQuilt. The birds and wings are fused with Steam A Seam Lite. Stitched down with decorative stitches and free motion stitched in place for a decorative effect. ½” black buttons added for eyes and stitch on with the sewing machine.
- Flowers- cut with AccuQuilt. The flowers, leaves and stems are held in place with decorative stitches and free motion.
- Strips of colored fabrics – Decorative stitches added from edge to edge. Top stitch upper black piece with triple stitch in sewing machine using decorative thread variegated thread.
- Finish according to the purchased pattern. Add your favorite handles or instructions are include with the pattern. Sample were purchased handles stitched on with the button sew on stitch.