Project Halloween Pet Mat
Skill Level: Beginner
Skill Level: Beginner
Create a cozy retreat for your pet to set and relax after an event filled evening of trick-or-treating. Decorate your mat with embroidery using a built-in design and lettering with the use of the Baby Lock Destiny II sewing and embroidery machine. Click here to download instructions.
At the cutting mat, cut a strip of the Cheetah Cuddle fabric 6 ½” x 50”.
With the machine set up for sewing. With right sides together sew a ½” seam along the long edge of the fabric to create a tube. Turn the section right side out with a Fasturn set.
Stuff the cheetah tube with the fiber fill.
Whip stitch the ends closed. Set aside.
Hoop the Baby Lock Stick-Tear Away stabilizer in the largest hoop.
Be sure that the shiny side is facing up. Remove the top layer of the paper on the stabilizer by scoring the edge along the inside of the hoop.
Place a Positioning Sticker on the dish drying mat 4” up from the bottom edge centered from left to right.
Float the dish drying mat over the hoop with the cross-marks on the sticker centered in the hoop. Finger press to secure.
Set up the machine for embroidery and follow the next set of steps:
• Click on Embroidery. • Click on under Exclusive, select Celebrate. • Scroll down and select the Cat image as shown in the following illustration. • Set the design. • Place the hoop on the embroidery unit. • Rotate the design as needed so that the design will point downward on the mat. • Click on Edit. • Select the Positioning Sticker icon. The machine will scan the area inside the hooped frame based on the sticker that is on the dish drying mat. It will then reposition the design based on the position of that positioning sticker. • Embroider the design using the Madeira threads.
To embroider the “Trick or Treat” phrase follow the next set of step:
• Click on Home to get a new screen.
• Click on Embroidery.
• Click on Fonts.
• Select the 5th font or if you prefer you can choose any of the fonts shown.
• Use uppercase for the first letter. Type in the first letter “T”.
• Select the lowercase option (as shown above). Type in the remaining letters in the word “Trick”.
• To bounce to the next line click on the Arrow (as shown above in the red box).
• Type in “or” using lowercase lettering.
• Click on the Arrow icon to bounce to the third line.
• Using uppercase lettering again for the first letter of “Treat” and lowercase for the remaining letters.
• Click on Set. • Re-hoop using the same stabilizer and hoop. Remove the top layer of the stabilizer. • Determine the placement for the lettering. In the sample, I placed the lettering at an angle in both of the top two corners. Since the cat is sitting on the design on the left, only the design on the right side is showing. • Place a Positioning Sticker 7” diagonally down from each corner. • Place the mat centered in the hoop so that cross-marks on the sticker are aligned with the markings on the hoop. • Embroider the lettering using the Madeira embroidery thread.
Remove the stabilizer from the backside of the mat.
Sew the cheetah tube to the sides and back of the mat as shown in the illustration using a hand needle.