These reusable fabric gift tags with Christmas tree appliques are fun and easy to sew and perfect for using up favorite scraps of fabric leftover from holiday sewing! And here is a fun tip! Each member of the family has a different gift tag style or color. Switch it up each year and keep them guessing which presents are for them!
Click here to download the instructions which include step-by-step photos and templates.
- Baby Lock Sewing Machine
- Scissors or rotary cutter and mat
- 7” x 10” print fabric
- 3” x 3” solid fabric scraps for tree and stump
- Fast2Fuse Medium Double-Sided Fusible Stiff Interfacing
- Pellon EZ-Steam II Double-Sided Pressure Sensitive Fusible Web
- 10” length of ¾”-inch wide ribbon for tie
- Seam ripper and pointy scissors for buttonhole
- Printout of Reusable Fabric Gift Tag template
- Basic sewing supplies
- Using the gift tag pattern printout cut out 2 tags from fabric and 1 tag from Double-Sided Fusible Stiff Interfacing. Ignore the buttonhole marking for now.
- Print out the applique template or freehand cut a tree design on paper. Using a scrap of solid fabric larger than the tree and place it on one side of the Double-Sided Pressure Sensitive Fusible Web. Cut around the tree template through the fabric and fusible web. Cut out a rectangle of fabric and fusible web for the tree stump the same way.
- Peel off the paper backing and place the applique on one fabric gift tag. Press with an iron to adhere the applique. Press the gift tag cut from Double-Sided Fusible Stiff Interfacing to the back of this piece. Set aside the other fabric gift tag for now.
- Sew around the applique on the interfaced fabric tag with a straight or zigzag stitch. Embellish with decorative stitches like stars.
- Place the other fabric piece on the back of the appliqued gift tag on the stiff interfacing. Use an iron to fuse in place.
- Use a decorative stitch to sew through all layers around the perimeter of the gift tag.
- Attach the buttonhole foot and set up the machine for a medium size buttonhole about ¾” (2cm) long. Sew a button hole in the center top of the gift tag. Tip: Remember to turn the tag so it is facing away from you when you start sewing the buttonhole and start sewing about ½” from the edge of the border.
- Use a seam ripper to start ripping a hole into to the center of the buttonhole and use a pair of pointy scissors to open up the hole.
- Insert ribbon through the buttonhole and tie onto a gift.